Daylily

I’m still practicing with peach gum! Here’s a daylily on pastel paper:daylily in peach gumI tried to blot out a mistake in the upper left. I can’t? Here’s the photo I took of my daylily, if you want to use it. Gorgeous flower! You can use any photo you want in the reference folder. It’s not an arranged webpage.

I’m a little concerned about lightfastness now. Here’s what the Handprint dude has to say about lightfast pigments in watercolor:

“Only tests actually done on watercolors can guide your pigment selections. Lightfastness ratings of oil or acrylic paints are not a reliable guide to the permanence of watercolors made with the same pigment, because pigments last longer inside the protective coatings of oil or acrylic vehicles than when left bare on paper with an irregular coat of gum arabic. Keep in mind that some watercolor paint manufacturers simply quote the lightfastness test results provided by the pigment manufacturers, who commonly test their pigments in an oil or acrylic dispersion.”

Source: http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt6.html#lightfast
BTW, nerdness is relative. I know I’ve been nerding out lately, but Handprint dude makes me seem like a fogged out Pokemon player.

(peach gum binder: peach gum, water and sugar syrup. I added that mix to pigment; about half as much mix as pigment, to get a freely flowing paint. More gum arabic apparently makes the paint more controlled, more likely to stay in place. And increases lifting, I read. So, if I had added more gum, maybe I could have lifted mistakes. However, my pigments are staining, so…)